Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More Tales from the Subway ... And Beyond


So, after sleeping all afternoon from my exhausting run, I woke up and tried to rally from feeling sick for the past couple of days. After staying in my first Friday night in NYC, there was no way I was not going out on Saturday. My friend Chip told me that he was going to go to a bar in Chelsea called XES. Very exciting! A chance to take a new Subway Line - the 1 train. Well, I thought I knew where the entrance to the 1 train was near my apartment, but I must've passed it or what not, because I somehow ended up walking down Broadway headed towards Times Square. I thought to myself, the train runs almost due South, so I should be able to just walk a few blocks and find the next entrance, right? Well, while my incredible navigation skills were correct, I did not anticipate the mass of people to be so overwhelming at 11pm on a Saturday Night in Times Square. Why aren't you people either sleeping, or in a bar? Stop standing on the road looking up taking pictures. I have lived here a week, and I am already sick of tourists. While I desperately want to crane my head up to look at every blinking light and neon sign, I find it much more hip and cool to look annoyed while pushing my way through tourists. So, after it taking me 15 minutes to walk approximately 7 blocks, I find the 1 train. I find the 1 that is going downtown and go to that platform and wait. I look over, and see a guy that is super cute. Definitely a hipster with the skinny jean, cool jacket, and iPod in. Quite a different look from the Brooks Brothers shirt and puffy vest that I have rockin'.

So, we are definitely staring at each other and making eyes. And luckily, it is late at night, so there are no fat commuters to get in my way. The train pulls up and we both board the same car but sit pretty far away. These 2 young queens with multi colored hair get on and start bitching about something insignificant, but it is enough to entertain me while I am on the train. And since my crush is far away, it is fine. My stop comes and I get out, and so does my boy toy. I pretend not to notice and walk to the street and head to the bar losing my subway boyfriend for the second time in 1 week. Tragic. I meet Chip at the bar and it's not bad. Not the best bar ever, but not bad at all. About 30 minutes later, I am ordering a drink, and there is a tap on my shoulder. It is subway boyfriend! He asks if I was on the 1 train just now, and I confirmed that I was. I am randomly not acting super awkward, which is clearly a change for me, so I already congratulating myself in my head, when I find out his name is Anthony and lives in Queens. Well, that kind of killed my buzz, because my dream is to date someone rich with an awesome Manhattan apartment. But, making out wasn't out of the question. I mean, I did have my own place in the city. However, our romance came to a screeching halt when I found out he was there to meet up with Chips friend, and they started making out at the bar. But hey, I am one step closer to nabbing my first subway fling, so I considered the night a success.

Still not feeling well, I headed home in a cab around 12:45. I still felt better about myself because I had gone out on a weekend night in NYC. Not the ideal end result, as it did not include me playing tonsil hockey with anyone, but I am still confident my first NYC makeout is just around the corner. Stay tuned ...

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if you'll adopt the NYC "hipster" look?! I can see it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not checked your blog in a few days and all kinds of good stuff to catch up on today! I'm very entertained. Please keep up the good work as it gives me a reason not to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Craig. I am so excited for you and your new adventure. I am totally parallel with the excitement and eye opening adventures you are experiencing. It's amazing and challenging. Yes...tourists. Buenos Aires never lacks those either. Love you!

    ReplyDelete