Friday, February 6, 2009

Tales of the Subway ...


So, I have finally gotten the hang of riding the Subway. Well, I take that back. I figured out how to take the R train. And let me tell you - everyone takes public transportation here, so there are all sorts of interesting characters that ride that mug. Take Wednesday morning. I got on the R train and got a seat which is a huge score because that way I can pretend I am still sleeping on the way to work. And this morning was especially glorious. A super hot guy (no wedding ring on - important to check because then I know I have a slight chance) got on the train at the same time as me. And he sat across from me and I was totally hitting on him and I felt like he was smiling-ish back at me. Score! So, the train is pretty crowded but not overly crowded where you have to be all up on somebody's piece, right? Well, this uber fat man gets on the Subway, and literally stands right in front of where I am sitting on the train, and his stomach is so big it is basically hitting my nose. I am like, umm, excuse me, can you please move your pregnant stomach out of my face. I kind of like space. However, being the super awkward person that I am, I just let his stomach bitch slap me all the way to work ... ahh, these are days when I miss my Jeep. Anyway, fattie mcfatterson finally exited and my subway boyfriend was still there. But my stop was next. I smiled at him and got off - got off at my subway stop - not the way I wanted to get off ideally.

Thursday night was interesting. I decided to meet a friend after work for a drink at the Herald Square Subway stop. I got off my train only to be in mass panic. I had never been to a train station where people transferred lines. There were multiple levels and people running amok - and everynoe knew where they were going. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get out of the train station. That was fun - especially when I reached street level and remembered it was approximately 10 degrees with a wind chill of 0. At least today it wasn't snowing. But when I got to the bar, it was $20 all you could drink liquor. That made me happy - and also, it was a lot less cold out when I left that bar. I wonder why.

So, this morning, I get to the Subway and the N train came instead of the R. I was told that they run on the same line so I could probably take either. While this is true, the N train does not stop at my stop. So I had to get off at the stop before mine and walk 6 blocks in the freezing cold to my office. Lesson learned. Stick to the train I know.

Anyway, all is well here ...

6 comments:

  1. You lived in DC! They change Metro lines there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wahoo! i am now a blog stalker. p.s. i work in herald square half the week. :-) let me know if you need any nyc tips Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get lost like that and I have a car. Doh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you have gotten through your first week- love you lots- i hope i taught u enough ny attitude so u can fit in- enjoy this exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw next time tell mr. mcfatterson to go belly-bitch-slap someone else! ew!

    love your stories,boo!

    ReplyDelete