Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentine's Day


So, waking up on Valentine's morning the night after hearing how I broke Mr. President's heart, I felt a little bad. I decided that I would spend the day venturing out into the city. I heard of a sale at Patagonia down in Soho. and needing a rain coat, I decided it was a good place to walk around and avoid Valentine's Day in general. Considering I have only had 1 Valentine's Day date ever, with my first boyfriend ever Steve, as freshman in college, I really find the day quite annoying. And especially since when Steve and I went out to dinner in Dupont Circle that night, he wore the brightest red sweater I have ever seen, basically burning my retina's and causing irreversible damage, I find people who wear red on Valentine's Day to be utterly reprehensible.


Anyway, I leave my apartment, dressed tastefully in pink, not red, mind you, and head to Soho to walk around looking for Patagonia. Again, the subway screws me. I got on the first train that comes to the station, and since I am extremely impatient, I didn't bother to look to see if it was the correct train. Well, of course it wasn't. The train that I got on did not stop at the station that I needed, so I got off at the stop prior to the one I was told about on Hopstop.com I decide it is a little adventure and get off and find my way into Soho. I find Patagonia and see the giant SALE sign outside and think to myself that buying myself a Valentine's Day gift was the perfect way to feel great. Well, apparently the rest of NYC had heard about the sale, and walking into the store was like walking into a store that sold Jean Shorts on the campus of University of Florida. It was total pandemonium with people acting like it was the last sale on earth. Finding an adorable coat that is $190 off, I decide I should buy it. I turn and look at the line ready to check out, and it is 40 people long. Dejected, I hang the coat up. I just don't have 1 hour to stand in line. The sad thing is, I did have an hour to stand in line as I don't really have a ton of friends here yet, but its the principle people!

I leave Soho and head towards Fashion Week. I meander around trying to get a look to see if there are any celebrities, however, again being impatient, I just snap a photo and move on.
I walk up to Central Park in search of Whole Foods. I was craving Sushi. And even though my new friend at work Julia had just gotten food poisoning from the Spicy Tuna roll she got at Whole Foods, I was craving it. Clearly, the fact that she was vomiting all night and basically slept on her bathroom floor, was appealing to me. Maybe I would get so lucky and lose some weight in the process. I find Whole Foods, and enter into a store where Valentine's Day threw up. Roses, balloons, and everything else red you could imagine encompassed the store, and the freak New Yorkers picking up Valentine's Day treats was just too much again for me to handle. I walked around through the masses of people and picked up sushi, some crackers, and a couple of other things I needed. I finally make my way to the check out line, and it, like Patagonia, is probably an hour long wait. Again dejected, I return all of the things I had in my basket and jetted out of that store. And as I am leaving the shops at Columbus Circle, I run straight into Mr. President. Oh, and I am wearing his favorite sweater. So, I awkwardly say something like "erm, uhh, yea, I'm wearing your Sweater. I wanted to wear it one last time before I gave it back to you" which I clearly have no intention of doing as I have had it for over a year, and it is an adorable blue and white cable knit Ralph Lauren sweater which looks divine on me.

Well, I finally go to the little grocery store by my house to pick up dinner and wine. And realizing I had a couple of parties to attend that night, I invite Steve, my first boyfriend from college over for Valentine's Dinner - and drinks - before we head to our parties that night.






2 comments:

  1. Do you really have to insult florida in your story??? geez...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that UF dig was great. keep it up and don't forget about their love affair with the mullet.

    ReplyDelete