Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Running in Central Park

So, after feeling completely sick all of Friday, and going to bed on Friday night at 11pm (How cool am I my first Friday in NYC!), I woke up Saturday morning at 11:30 am. Yes, 11.5 hours of sleep. I'm awesome. After feeling like crap still, I decided it was best to take a nap from 12:30 - 3. I woke up feeling a tad better, and since I had spent my entire weekend thus far either on the couch, or in bed, I decided it might do me some good to go for a run in Central Park. Central Park is only 8 short blocks away from me, so I decided to walk to the park and go for a run. So, for those of you who don't know this, I HATE running. If I can paint a picture for you, I pretty much feel like Phoebe from friends when she runs. All awkward and gangly. If you have seen the episode, you know what I mean. If not, here is a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_0Ta_DIWuU It is pretty tragic. And usually after my "run", I feel so tired, but accomplished, only then I look up online how far I have run and it comes to approximately 1 mile. And it took me 20 minutes.

Anyway, on this particular afternoon after sleeping for what seemed like days, I put on some running shorts that show off my incredibly cute legs. I throw on a fleece, my Masters hat, and my new balances, suit up with my super cute green iPod shuffle that I purposely bought to learn how to run, and leave my corporate apartment. It is in the mid 40s, so I am not cold at all as I am walking to the park. As I near Columbus Circle, I am waiting to cross the street when a very attractive person starts to talk to me. I am a tad taken aback, so I take off my ear phones to this very attractive person asking me if I ran outside in shorts, because I must be freezing. "Oh yea, I run outside all the time in the cold" lying through my teeth as I have probably run 3 times all winter. Again, let me stress, "run", as I basically run 100 yards and dry heave while walking the next 100 yards. It's pretty. "I'm actually training for a half marathon in Seattle in June". WTF? I mean, I was supposed to do that but have since given that dream away for better things like, sleep and alcohol. We banter about how much I love running for the next block or so, and then I have to leave this attractive person to start my run in the park. Too bad it was a girl. Why do no hot boys hit on me in my sexy work out shorts? Blast!

Regardless, I felt pretty awesome running through Central Park on a gorgeous winter day. I made it around this one portion of the park and then back down Broadway towards my corporate apartment. And while I did stop to walk a few times, I checked my mileage when I got home, and guess what? I ran 1.5 miles. Hey, that beats my 1 mile average. Things are looking up in NYC, even if when I returned to my apartment I promptly laid down for a 3 hour nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment