Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Personal Space

NYC is wonderful. It has amazing restuarants, bars, museums, shopping. You name it and NYC pretty much has it (except a good chick-fil-a, or white cheese dip)!

The one thing that NYC definitely, tragically even, is lacking, is personal space. You NEVER have time to yourself. I live with 2 roommates, and almost always one of them is home - which is fine, but you will see why i am complaining in a minute. Walking down the street there is always someone near you - no matter what time of night. On the subway, it is always packed. In the park, shopping, at a restaurant, there are people every where.

Now, I love to sing. And i especially love to sing showtunes. I mean, who doesn't like a good Broadway musical (well, maybe 75% of the population, but whatever)? Now, where I ask you, am I supposed to sing these musicals? I used to belt out Wicked and In The Heights in my jeep any time I was in the car. But now, I live in NYC and I have no jeep. So what have I resulted in doing? Well, I actually just sing on the street with my iPod in. Softly - sometimes one ear bud out as to control the volume of the song coming out of my mouth. But as I get more and more annoyed with the people and the clutter that is Manhattan, I have started caring less, and starting singing more. I am totally a crazy person that walks down the street and sings/talks to himself. I used to think those people were weird (and granted, most of those people are either bonkers or homeless), but now I see why they do it. They have no personal space and you gotta talk and you gotta sing. So if you see me walking down the street in NYC someday, don't worry, I am not crazy (debateable), I just have no personal space.

No comments:

Post a Comment